Saturday, August 28

WE'VE GOT SPIRIT ~ YES WE DO!

A professional colleague and I shared a typical Wonder Woman reaction this week. A new business initiative has greatly increased her work load. Between family responsibilities, work, and pursuing the purpose that fulfills her, she expressed some mild resentment at spending some of her “best hours” at a football game. As I emailed her, telling her I'd done and felt exactly the same just the night before, a truth emerged. It came to me in the recollection of a picture taken when my now 23 year old daughter was in first grade.

It was at a school performance of some sort, just one in long playbill that spanned her K – 12 years. Every time I look at that picture, taken by my mother because I couldn't miss work that day, I feel a pang of remorse – regret that comes from having missed something essential to my spirit.

All busy women have to divide their time, allocating appropriate amounts for everybody and everything. When we get too caught up in the math and the mechanics of all this scheduling, we can lose sight of what is most important to us. In the years to come, the hours I spent at the high school football game will have shrunk to just moments in my life – memorable moments. When I recall ll my 15 year old daughter's dazzling smile throughout her first night as a varsity football cheerleader ( a picture forever in my memory rather than a photograph taken by my mother because I couldn't be there) it will warm my heart and lift my spirit.

Whether you have children or not, whether your passion is your work or a hobby, you risk losing sight of your spirit in the duty of everyday tasks. You can find yourself grousing over something that would normally give you joy Рlike spending time with someone you love Рbecause there's just too much to do right now. Later, when things settle down would be a better time. Remember that old clich̩, Life is what happens when your making other plans? Things never settle down. We have to stop running in that little hamster wheel, take a deep breath and be fully present.

Honoring your spirit is a two-fold process. First, learn to recognize the pursuits, activities and people that make you soar. Discover what gives you purpose and passion; it very likely won't be just one thing. My children, husband, family and friends give me joy and enrich my life. The work I have chosen gives me a sense of purpose and I am passionate about many causes. Taking time for any of these things keeps my spirit alive and well.

Second, once you know what nurtures your spirit, be open to every opportunity that presents itself. It isn't always easy when demands are pressing in. Every time you find yourself resenting something that takes your time, do an internal check – ask yourself if this is something you would normally enjoy. Seek out those small vignettes in the larger picture of your life and remember to live in the moment – a moment that keeps you connected to your spirit.

Recraft Your Life and Reclaim Your Spirit.
visit Living Well


No comments: