Wednesday, August 25

YES, YOU CAN HAVE A SECOND SERVING

The long recognized food pyramid is in the news again. Researchers on the cutting edge of human nutrition are urging the FDA to rethink the recommended daily servings of proteins, carbohydrates and essential fats. According to one source the base of this overhauled pyramid should be, not a food group, but exercise. Imagine that – a recommended daily serving of physical activity. Second helpings are definitely allowed.

Most of us know that for health and fitness we should all work into every day, a minimum of 30 – 45 minutes of moderate physical activity that includes at least 20 minutes of cardiovascular conditioning. But as a daily serving on our nutritional plate? I never thought of it that way. The paradigm shift gives me a new perspective.


The last few months have been busy for me. Of late, I've become my own worst client, working long hours at my computer without breaks. Lunch is whatever I can hold in one hand while pecking away at the keyboard with the other. Even my healthier choices in finger food are missing one-half of the lunch break equation – the break.

“Coach, motivate thyself.” I am resolving to take at least 30 minutes for lunch every day, but I'm going to nourish myself in those minutes with my daily serving of physical activity. As long as the weather holds I will take a brisk walk – stepping away from my computer, away from my desk and out of my office. While I'm walking and breathing in fresh air, I'll drink a full 12 ounce bottle of water. Later, I can still eat my in-hand lunch while I work with renewed energy and less stress.

Still thinking you absolutely cannot get away from your desk for 30 minutes? Or maybe you can find the time, but you must choose either exercise or lunch because in your job you can't work and eat at the same time; you don't even have one free hand. Then keep thinking of exercise as part of the food pyramid, and like food groups, endeavor to accumulate your 30 minutes in 10 minute increments during the day. After all, you don't eat all of your food in one meal, do you?

As a health and wellness coach should I be advocating eating at your desk or breaking up your daily workout? Shouldn't I be encouraging readers and clients to take a liesurely lunch break for their own wellbeing (or even for proper digestion sake)? Shouldn't I remind them that 10 minute increments of exercise don't encompass that important 20 minutes of sustained cardiovascular conditioning? Let's face it, when it comes to crunch time on a big project or deadline, even the most conscientious of us are going to lapse into old habits that compromise our ideal nutritional and fitness goals. Finding ways to meet both objectives at some level is what balance is all about. Or as they say, "It's better than nothing."

So until I make it through the crunch time of current business demands, I will adjust my ideal fitness regime rather than abandoned it all together. If you find yourself in similar circumstances, why not join me? Email me at
judith@livingwellcoach.com and Ill send you the "recipes" for a half-dozen healthy and nutritional, at-your-desk meals . . . but no cheating! You can only eat at your desk after you partake of your recommended daily exercise serving.

No comments: